Sunday, February 15, 2015

Trashed Changing Table becomes a Stunning Kitchen Island!!

This piece was out by a neighbor's trashcans back in the fall 
and has been sitting on my mom's carport ever since.
 I think it might have started life as a changing table...
 ..although it had this faux butcher block top, 
so maybe a kitchen island??
 It has bead board on three sides.
Open front with dirty green shelves.
Before the cold spell hits, 
I wanted to get this thing done!
 So this past week, while I was in Greenwood,
I finally tackled it.
 I sanded everything down with a mouse sander..
Then I painted the interior shelves 
with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Provence.
I also dry brushed this all over the white sides and front,
just a little…..to simulate old paint peeking through.
 After that dried, 
I used stain to simulate age and create texture……..
(Isn't this apothecary cabinet to die??
I was experimenting with it on top…)
 Here you can see more of the detail 
of the aging I did with the stain.
 Then I decided to really enrich the top,
so I stained it in Minwax Jacobean.
Oh yeah,
definitely a good call getting rid of the blonde...
 This is looking quite yummy now!!!
 
View of the backside..
 Here it is in my space 
 I added a little hook to the side for a dish towel.
Tons of storage!
Sturdy and utilitarian.
$265.

1 comment: