Friday, April 15, 2016

Bringing an Old Weathered Rocker Back to Life.

My friend, Harry, left this old rocking chair at my door 
a couple of weeks ago....
It's been out on his porch for years...........
It's extremely weathered...........rough..........
And the seat has some issues.....
Yesterday I got out the palm sander..........
It cleaned up really nice......
While I glued the seat,  
I decided to add some Restor-a-finish to
some of the rungs.
Man, the wood just soaked it right up!
So I kept the wood tone of the rungs, and painted the rest 
in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Country Grey.
Can you say UGLY?
Blech. 
I hated it............
Today, I "revised it."
I painted it in Greek Blue,
drybrushing over some of the previously painted Country Grey.
Then I used alphabet stamps with Graphite to add 'mama bear."
Here it is painted.......
And here it is all distressed and waxed.
I used lots of dark wax on the edges...
And the seat looks like it's worn from years of use...
Love the sheen I got from buffing.
The front...
The back.
With a cushion......
I think I like it better without the cushion.....
It's buttery soft.

Now this chair is "just right!"
For sale $129.

Going to my booth at RVA Antiques on the Avenue.

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370


No comments:

Post a Comment