Friday, December 6, 2013

Emily's Server: Milk Chocolate to French Linen.

Emily is a past client for whom I've done some sewing projects…
She's been admiring some of my furniture makeovers from my blog, 
and I was thrilled when she contacted me this week 
to ask if I could help her with a piece of furniture.
Here it is:
 It's a very functional cabinet with drop leaves on either side. 
Great to use as a server…
or in an office where you might need more work surface area.
Unfortunately, the piece was painted in a very shiny 
very brown very ugly finish.
 Doesn't it look like it's been dipped in milk chocolate?
Not a very professional paint job I must say….
lots of drips, and globby paint 
that's pulled away in the cracks.
 The top has lots of interesting dings and dents.
This is the thing about glossy paint: 
It highlights EVERY imperfection.
But no worries, 
I'm going to use all those drips and dings as texture…
to simulate age.
 Step One: Sand down the high gloss finish.  
I like using my little mouse sander because I can get in all the little cracks.
But dilemma!!!! Out of mouse sandpaper….
and I'm too lazy to go to the store..
So I just traced the mouse sander base on the round sandpaper,
cut it out (this also sharpens your shears!)
 And there you have it, 
improvisation 101.
 Worked great. 
Back to the furniture:
Here is the piece after sanding.
 Next, I taped off the hardware, 
and painted using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen.
One coat won't do it……..
Here it is after the second coat is almost dry. 
See how much more coverage you get with the 2nd coat?
This 2nd coat "grabs" the first one for a nice thick, flat finish.
(Be sure the first coat is completely dry, or the 2nd coat will just
take the first one right off…)
 After painting, I distress sanded all the edges, 
and waxed,  and added dark wax in the crevices
and knicks.
 The chocolate base coat actually works great 
because it simulates woodtone peaking through the paint, 
just the effect I was going for.
 Here it is all buffed,  arms stretched wide...
At ease.
Ready for transport.
Ready for holiday serving!
Thanks, Em!

No comments:

Post a Comment