Friday, January 2, 2015

Surprise Makeover: A Storage Room becomes a Pre Teen's Lounge/Office

While my clients are out of town for the holidays, 
I have been working on a couple of Santa assignments.
The first project was to reinvent a storage room 
off of an adjoining young girl's bedroom. 
(I blogged about her bedroom makeover from last Christmas here:

The room had just been painted, 
and my client, Kim, 
wanted to turn this room 
into a comfortable "hang out" area for her daughter and friends, 
as well as an office space.
 The room looked like this.
 I love how the architecture 
is accentuated by the intense turquoise
wall color.
Next, she had her daughter's initials painted
on the wall facing the entrance.
I thought this was pretty brilliant!!!
And cleared out the unwanted furniture.
Here's what I was given to work with….
and away Santa goes!!!!!
 A trip to Target yielded this towel 
I'm going to use for a floor pillow cover,
 And a shower curtain which I'll use for fabric.
 A couple of these 100% natural rugs will really cozy up the space
and give some contrast to the deep turquoise wall color .
 I brought in a second hand desk, 
which I primed and painted in a glossy white.
Same with this thrift chair.
Primed and painted,
and then I recovered the seat in batting and fabric 
from the shower curtain.
Perfectly lovely!
I'm making the left side of the room the office area.
The other end of the room will be
the lounge area.
Kim was originally concerned that this pouf
she had purchased to use was not going to match 
the wall color.
f
I had this in mind when I selected the textiles.
By bringing in another pattern with some of the colors in
the pouf AND the wall...
everything now works!
I set up these two fleecy papasan chairs with pillows,
a small table,
and the rug brings in instant warmth.
I added a second rug in the office area.
 Here's the center of the room as you walk in from the doorway.
To the left, the office.
To the right, the lounge.
Finally, I added the mascot!!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Aggie!!!!!

In a day or two, as soon as I finish it,
I'll show you the younger brother's room makeover!!!!

2 comments: