Friday, August 26, 2011

A Buffet Makeover

Take a look at this incredible old buffet I purchased from a dealer recently.  It was in really bad shape, legs were just about broken off, lots of chewed and chipped wood....no back or shelves or door inserts....


 But it had such incredible detail and lines...I had to have it and ended up probably paying too much for the condition it was in...And then....I got to work!
 Oh my, this is beautiful.  After reinforcing all the legs,I lined the back with a piece of beadboard I found in the alley.  It gives it the perfect vintage feel....I sanded down all the rough spots, used wood filler as needed. Then I painted using my favorite paint for furniture, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  The outside I painted in Graphite, the trim in Old White, and the interior in Versailles.
 Next i lined the door inserts with chicken wire which I simply cut and stapled to the inside of the door.
 On this top detail, I first painted with the Graphite, but then I went back in and dry brushed with Old White until all the carving pops.
 Then I added shelves for storage.  I painted them as well as the chicken wire in Versailles.
 Then I distress sanded and gave all of the wood a nice rubbing of wax.
 This one's a keeper.  I just can't let it go...........!!!!!!!!! Yet.........

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous! You did an amzing job of this. I have seen similar to that for sale for well over £1000 here. So elegant, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was well worth what ever you paid for it - NOW!! Found your link at MMS and had to see this up close. Soooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete