Wednesday, November 2, 2016

The Rooftop Deck: Taking it off and putting it back...

So I have this beautiful little piece of heaven on the top of my house:
My rooftop deck.
Every spring, 
I reinvent it....
 It has had many looks...
...over the years...


 This spring, however, 
I discovered some major leaks in the ceiling of my master
bedroom....
...just below this area...
so sadly, I knew the deck had to go
to replace the roof.......
 It hurt to think about destroying all of this!!!!!!

A lot of the wood, particularly under the enclosed area,
was still in great condition.
While I was waiting for the contractor's schedule to clear,
I removed as much of the wood as I could...
With the salvaged wood,
I created this reclaimed wood wall in my bedroom loft.
I made tabletops....
 decorative wall hooks...

signs galore....
Late summer, 
the folks finally arrived to demo the remaining wood, 
and figure out a plan for rebuild.
All the wood was removed.
The roof above part of the deck was salvaged
and temporarily supported...
Then off came the roof...
To find this: Years of termite damage and rot.
Truly unbelievable.........
The roofers had to replace a good amount of wood...
Some of the joists were disintegrated....
Once structurally sound,
the reroofing began...
Wilma inspects...
And last week, 
the contractors returned to start the rebuild...
over the new roof.
Once the decking was done...
They started on the sides...
Instead of lattice, 
they cut 2x4"s and sandwiched between
two railings.
Another Wilma inspection. Ha.
Here's the progress seen from the street..
This was quite a logistical challenge.......
All the old wood had to come down three stories...
And all the new wood had to go UP three stories...
The work was finally completed last week.
I'm hoping this will last my lifetime!!!!!!!
I love all the little touches:
Like the drink rail.

Here are the folks that did all the work.
(L to R) Dustin Griffith, David Griffith,
David Miller, and Matt Griffith.
Contractor: Custom Renovations, Inc. 
Roofer: Service Support, Inc. 
They were terrific!!
Organized, thoughtful, professional.
And NICE.
I would highly recommend them!
And even though it's late in the season,
I was determined to get the deck ready to use 
for the last month or so this year.
So all the furniture came back out...
I bought a set of chairs from a thrift store that I quickly 
recovered...
 I brought out all the textiles and blankets to warm it up.
 It's all ready!
I've been out on it every evening.
Wilma is enjoying it too.

And just in time for my favorite occasion of the year:
  HALLOWEEN!
All is right with the world again.

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370







No comments:

Post a Comment