Friday, October 2, 2015

Reworking Kitchen Storage with a Revamped Vintage Cabinet


 While I was in Greenwood this past week,
my client, BJ, had me back over to her house 
to do some work in her kitchen and downstairs den.
I love repeat business!
My first assignment on this visit is to declutter
this area in her kitchen.
At present, she is using this utilitarian 
shelving unit for all her wonderful pottery,
many her own pieces…
it works fine, but is sort of messy.
 
The last time I worked at her house, 
I suggested painting this piece.
Today I'm going to transform it into
a beautiful and functional display piece
to hold all her delicious pottery.
Also, this little chair needs some work.
The seat is spent…springs are okay,
but it needs reupholstering.
I tackled the chair first.
I rebuilt the seat with foam and batting,
and then upholstered the seat in
this green chenille remnant.
 Now it looks good AND sits great!
One down, one to go.
 
I started this cabinet transformation
by painting the exterior in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
in Country Grey.
Inside, I used a custom mix of Maison Blanche
Peacock with ASCP Country Grey and Old White.
Next, I painted the exterior in ASCP in Old White.
 I've found when painting dark wood white,
a base coat of a slightly darker tone is better than white.
Then layer it with a top coat of the white paint.
It hides the wood better, requiring fewer coats.
Here's the beautiful hue of the inside.
After waxing the interior,
I started adding all of BJ's pieces.
(Because the shelves weren't completely dry,
I added a liner of wax paper to protect the finish.)
I suggested adding cup hooks to the inside top for all of her beautiful mugs.
So that is the plan after a run to the hardware store for more cup hooks.
For now, 
I placed most of the cups atop the cabinet.
Loving the way her kitchen looks now!
Love the turquoise interior with the green walls.
It's cheery!
This old cabinet turned out to be
the perfect storage solution!
Don't you just love when that happens?
When you can rework something you already own?

Tomorrow
I'll show you what I did to the basement!!

Have a room that needs work?
I can help!

SheShe, The Home Magician
Sheila Fox
sheilafox@aol.com
804-402-4370

No comments:

Post a Comment