Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Tacky Lights Tour: Lamp Makeovers

Tis the season, isn't it?
For tacky light tours?
How bout a tacky lamp tour?
Cuz I sure have seen a lot of them lately!
You might not think about it….
but yes, you CAN makeover a lamp!!
I do it all the time!!!

Walk with me if you will….
to the land of ugly lamps………
and see what can be done with these
ugly ducklings!
 First up, a pair of glitzy gold urn lamps ,
I really like the nice silk shades and decorative finials...
but the gold finish on the lamp base is so flat.
It looks cheap - like spray paint!
Where's my chalk paint!!!!!!
Here it is. 
Old White. 
Perfect.
I dry brush on the Old White.
(I don't want my brush to be too wet,
so when I brush along the surfaces,
it doesn't get into all the nooks and crannies.)
 Here they are after the paint has dried.
 Now the artistry begins;)
The left one has been waxed with clear,
and then dark wax in some of the details.
The right is still just painted.
See the difference?
 Here they are both waxed and finished.
Using a stiff brush,
the wax will eat away some of the paint, 
and reveal hints of the gold.
They're beautiful now!
For sale in my booth.
$185 for the pair
 Next, this urn lamp.
I brought this into my Mom's house,
and she said,
"Oh, what an ugly lamp."
Just wait…..
 Dry brushed with Old White.
 Next, with a small art brush, 
I painted just the flat part of the surface in French Linen,
not the details, which I left white.
 Then I added a hit of Paris Grey here and there,
and clear and dark waxed.
This lamp rocks now!!
I paired it with this burlap shade that was 
the perfect size & shape.
For Sale: $75
And finally, ooh….
I'm sure you've seen this type before.
Right out of the 60's/70's...
 Amber glass with wood and bronze.
(Can't you just see them sitting atop a
70's Mediterranean style
piece of dark furniture?
With chunky knocker pulls?
Blech…)
 First up, two coats of Old White. 
On everything,
even the glass.
 Next, I added Paris Grey to all the grooves and to the decorative edges.
Don't worry too much about this stage...
 Because afterwards,
dry brushing with Old White
will
soften everything...
The painting is finished...
 Next waxing.
 Clear, and then I used lots of dark in areas to simulate age.
Here you can see the difference..
Left: Painted and Waxed
Right: Painted only
Wow, such frenchy loveliness!
For sale, $150 for the pair.

All are at my booth at Greenwood Antiques
(let me know if I can pick any up for you on my next trip.)
And that, my friends,
ends the tacky lamp tour for the evening!!






No comments:

Post a Comment