Tuesday, October 29, 2013

What to do with a burlap sack? Reupholstery, of course!

Most of you know I have a booth in an antique store 
in a little country town, Greenwood, VA.

 While I was there recently, 
I purchased this old peanut burlap sack..
 And last week, I purchased this chair off Craig's List...
 Great lines, just like my sofa...just ugly...
with a cream and gold finish and
yellow and gold striped chenille.
Can you say 60's?
 I ripped off all the edging, 
and proceeded to paint the wood trim in 
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Louis Blue....

Here it is with the base coat.
After adding some more paint layers in Old White
and Paris Grey, and waxing, 
it was ready for upholstering.
 I covered the front and seat in one of my favorite fabrics 
that looks like grain sack.
(You can see the layered paint finish better in this photo.)
Instead of using traditional trim or piping, 
I just folded over and glued the fabric edges, 
and then nailed in these galvanized
roofing nails...
On the back, yep, I used the burlap sack,
 and edged in coordinating gimp.
 Layered with a pillow I made from another feed sack,
my chair is perfectly shabby! 
But...
I need somewhere to rest me tootsies...
 And right in my car was this cast off foot stool 
I had purchased at a Goodwill...
 It had some serious frame issues...
 So I got out the old Keg, Jr., 
screwed, reglued and clamped the frame.
I painted the base in ASCP Old Ochre, 
added some stencilled stars....
And used the other side of the burlap sack to
cover the top.
 
Love this set, 
and for now, it's home.
Wilma already has her eye on that nice scratchy burlap.
Geez...

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful work you've done, as always, SheShe ... but burlap is a surefire "come-on" invitation to Wilma to make it her scratching post!

    ReplyDelete