Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Colonial China Hutch Gets an Elegant Make-over

 
Last week, I returned to my client, Candace's, 
beautiful fan home....this time to tackle a piece in her elegant dining room 
 She had just had her walls done in a venetian plaster finish, 
and now she was ready to address this colonial looking china cabinet...



 Let the transformation begin!!
First I removed the glass window/door to the hutchtop.  
I primed, then painted the exterior in Valspar Lincoln Cottage Black. 
 
For the interior, I base painted with Annie Sloan French Linen.
Then I took gold metallic paint and highlighted all the grooves and edges.
Once this dried, I added a pearlescent glaze to make the interior sparkle.
Next, I brushed on/wiped off a deep espresso stain 
to the black painted areas to give it
a polished finish.
I changed out the knob and hinges on the door bottom.
   
Now this hutch is as beautiful as the rest of the room!
 Look how Candace's gold rimmed china pops with
all the gold highlights of the inside......
Stunning.
Now this piece truly feels like it belongs.
I suggested adding an LED light inside the hutchtop
which will set the pearlescent glaze "aglow."
 
(Later on, I'll show you what became of the window we removed.
Oh, but that's another day.... )

No comments:

Post a Comment