Thursday, February 28, 2013

Baby Steps and Little Stuff:

Rough couple of weeks...
letting go of my little munchkin..

I'll try to be more consistent with my blogs...
Just need some more time to heal.

Babysteps, babysteps..

Working on some personal projects, 
like my own office and bedroom,
which I'll hopefully finish soon and be able to share!
(It helps to change things up around the house...)

And little things here and there....
such as....
 ....this wooden shield from a thrift shop.........
...becomes a  fun coat rack with a nice bovine twist.
(It's important to keep your sense of humor, folks!!)
I'm trying!!
 Remember this china hutch I transformed a few weeks back...from this...
to this?

 I took the door with window panes.........
 ...painted it in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White......
 Did a little distressing, waxing, 
and then added these wonderful old numbered railroad nails 
that I've been saving for just the perfect project.
Then I sprayed the back of the glass with Krylon Looking Glass Spray.  
(First I squirted it with a little Windex so that the paint wouldn't adhere everywhere...
This gives it a litte age.)
And hung it on the wall above this little bench 
that I paiinted with a whimsical distressed harlequin pattern.
This makes the perfect little mudroom entrance!

Okay, what else is in my bag of tricks.....
Oh, yes, this little jewelry box.
 This was a client's, and it held sentimental value, 
but she was tired of the glossy cherry and traditional brass hardware.
 First I painted it in two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Emperor's Silk.
Then I added layers and layers of dry brushed graphite, blacks...
Then used steel wooled to pull out the red undercoat.
Next I brushed on/wiped off a deep Jacobean stain.
THEN I decided to change out the hardware, 
so I had to putty the holes, 
drill a new one, 
and essentially redo the top....
Afterwards I added this chunky old gothic ring pull.
It was worth all the work.
Isn't this a gorgeous room?
it's a client's front parlor.
She had a little console up against the wall...
that needed a leg attached and a makeover...
 I suggested painting it in a navy, 
and losing the traditional hardware.
So home it came with me.
 After priming, I painted two coats in Behr "Starless Night" in a satin finish.
 I found new blue and white ceramic knobs at Hobby Lobby 
that blend perfectly with the four blue and white patterned chairs.
Here it is back in it's place.
Just like it's always been there;)

 Next up.....
Another thriftstore find........
Old colonial styled letter holder...
maple wood finish....
(I grew up with one of these....
It's still on my mother's wall!)
 I gave it a different spin......
Painted each panel in a poppy chalk paint color..
 Then I stamped type on each in a turquoise.....
and added little black dots around the letters....
Yep, you play, you pay, and then you pray.
Makes sense to me!

Okay, 
so what else can I leave you with?
Just my heart.

1 comment: