Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Recipe: How to Make a Headboard from Scratch!

After I posted Daisey's living room makeover a week or so ago,
 my friend/client, Frances, called. 
"Help!!" she said.  "I'm having a houseguest and my guest room is so not ready."  
She especially loved the window treatments I hung in Daisey's living room 
to lighten and update the space.
(I LOVE when client's call with work after seeing one of my makeovers.  
Makes me feel like.....you know....
someone is actually reading this stuff!)
 So....
I've been very busy this past week pondering and inventing and shopping........
and sawing and priming and painting and sewing and hanging...
I finished the room today, but Frances doesn't get home until tomorrow...
So... 
the room makeover will have to wait because I don't want to spoil her surprise.
BUT...
I can at least show you this cool headboard I made for her.

RECIPE:
Begin with one old door...
Measure and cut to size for a queen bed.
Add a nice coat of good primer. 
Your door should look something like this..........
Here it is all primed.
I measured the height of Frances existing mattress/boxspring,
then measured, cut, attached and painted plywood legs so that most of the door will still show once it's in place..
The legs also add support. I drilled holes and will attach them with bolts  to the metal slots in the bed frame.
Next, add some decorative pieces.......I used some fleur de lis doodads...
Finish off with some decorative moulding.

Here's the headboard,
painted then lightly sanded.
And here it is after distressing, and waxing.
See how the details pop with sanding and dark wax?
And here it is in situ!!!!!!!!
Just a tease.........stay tuned for the entire reveal tomorrow!!!!
You won't wanna miss this one!

3 comments:

  1. You sure know how to make some awesome headboards, Sheila!!! Can't wait to put mine up in the new house! -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just Beautiful!!! Love it! Thank you for posting the instructions also. We are going to try this!

    ReplyDelete