Monday, April 23, 2012

Paint. It's not just for furniture!

Yesterday was a complete wash......well actually, it was just rainy. 
I never left the house......
Naps, fire, PBS...a little sewing.
No outdoor painting...BUT....just because there's a little rain in the forecast 
doesn't keep me from getting out the paint cans.......
(My stairwell looks like this:  I call it the "Paint Department."

ANYTHING can be transformed with a little paint.
It doesn't have to be a piece of furniture.
Check out some of these before and afters:
BEFORE: Fun posts of different shapes and sizes..
AFTER: With various Annie Sloan chalk paint colors,
these become art!! They now decorate a garden at a B&B in Charlottesville.
BEFORE: Ugly bird art...
AFTER: Funky lawn art with a topiary added....

BEFORE: I scarfed up this ugly-ass owl lamp base at a Goodwill in NC.
AFTER: West Elm, eat your heart out!
BEFORE: Ugly painted Cleopatra bust.
AFTER: Alabaster bust!!!!! (Annie Sloan chalk paint in Old Ochre.)
BEFORE: Ugly wood shelf...
AFTER: Cute shabby chic display.
BEFORE: Finials from a thrift shop.
AFTER: More spoils for my booth. SOLD!
BEFORE: Here's a great idea.  Take an old silver chest.........
AFTER: And turn it into a monogrammed jewelry chest. Great gift!
BEFORE: More thrift....discs with faux black velvet backs and stock art.
AFTER: Reinvented with bird and bee knobs, and chalk paints. SOLD.
BEFORE: Dated blue and white lamp...
AFTER: Painted, with a new drum shade.
Love the handles and reptilian details! 

BEFORE: Gold and black chipped horse statue. 
AFTER: Another booth piece. Glossy white. SOLD!
YES, you can even paint hardware!
These used to be brass...I gave them a verdigris patina.
More painted knobs.
Have an ugly light fixture or sconce? Paint it!!!!
This was another shiny brass piece that I reinvented instead of replacing.
BEFORE: I found these jars at a yard sale. Loved the shape.
AFTER: I painted the tops and added organza bows. SOLD.
BEFORE: Ugly colonial style shelf...
AFTER: I lined the back with some wood I found in the alley,
painted in fun greens, turquoises, blues...
Here it is in my booth propped with fun items.
BEFORE: Decoy lamp......
AFTER: Paint, baby, paint!!!!
Elmer Fudd, meet Martha Stewart!
BEFORE: Goldtone plastic convex mirror.
AFTER: Reinvented in an assortment of chalk paints and waxes.
BEFORE: Little wooden gazelle from Kenya.
AFTER: Wall art.
BEFORE: Black plastic planter rescued from trash.
AFTER: Faux painted........I used a pair of these for years in front of my house.
BEFORE: Pair of little white birds...
AFTER: Reinvented for a tuscan powder room.

So don't be afraid to get out the paint brush and play with some ugliness.
You'll be so proud of yourself! Instant gratification!
Hmmm, wonder what I'll find to paint today?????????





No comments:

Post a Comment