Monday, April 9, 2012

A Living Room Transformation with Store Bought Drapes. Yes, it CAN work! And save $$$




Sometimes it takes just a little to make a very big impression!  
And here's a great example of that!
My client, Daisey, wanted to update her living room.  
She had a hodgepodge of fabrics/tones competing with rose beige walls.
 Great windows, but the dated drapery panels were dark and stiff.

On the adjacent wall, another window with window seat.
I know it's hard to tell from this photo,
but the current cushions are a bright red.
Another jolt in the room......

Get ready................
.....and here's the AFTER.
Can you say "aaaahhhhh?" 
Look how sweet and refreshed the space is now!
Light and airy thanks to some store bought window panels 
and new drapery rods.
Just beautiful. We switched out some pillows on the sofa...



The sheers have wonderful sunbursts of copper that 
help integrate all the various tones in the room.
Next, I remade the cushion and pillows in the windowseat:
I used a soft neutral chenille to recover the cushion.
Daisey had some great vintage fabric that I used to recover the pillows.
This little sitting area is so much calmer now
 than the vibrant red that was here before.

Moving on to some painted furniture! Yay!
  Daisey had an antique library table.  
Dark, and at present, pretty plain but great details, 
you just can't really see them.
I painted the desk in one of my favorite Annie Sloan Chalk Paint combinations: 
Old White and Versailles.
See how I highlighted all the details with the green color?
After painting, I distressed and waxed with a combination of light and dark waxes to push all the detail.

I had previously made over this chair for Daisey. 
From this....
 To this:
I had used this fabulous sea coral motif fabric in a linen and indigo to reupholster the seat.
She had one more chair that she wanted me to work on: 
A sweet little oak chair that had belonged to her mother.
I had just enough fabric left to use on this seat as well.  
The oak chair was so beautiful that I didn't paint it (for a change!!!) 
I simply used a little Howard's Restore on it to bring out the beautiful oak grain.
So, to revisit, here's my wonderful client, Daisey, in her "before living room."

And here she is in her refreshed space.  (Writing my check! Hee.)
Isn't she beautiful?
And now she has a beautiful living room!
Thanks, Daisey!!!!!!! You are a fabulous client and friend!



1 comment:

  1. Refreshing! What a great transformation. I
    especially appreciate how simply and elegantly
    you integrated nature and element images with
    the sun medallion, the coral, the florals and
    color choices. Magic indeed.
    Polly

    ReplyDelete