Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Entertainment Center Transformation

Hello folks!!!!! 
Yes, the taxes are done!
I have resurfaced!
SheShe has lots of exciting new makeovers.
I've been cranking them out with such intensity,
that I'm too exhausted to blog at the end of the day!!!!! 
(It's the photo editing that kills me....too many choices!)
But this morning I have to put the painting on hold. 
It's raining, so time for a little office work.

Remember this photo?
It was my inspiration for an entertainment center makeover 
for my clients, Kim and Jon. I love the wallpaper backs.....and the lighter finish, 
but mine will be much more layered and distressed.
Here is the entertainment center I'll be transforming.
 It's a beautiful custom-made piece...
But it's like A BLACK HOLE in this den.
 Kim and Jon want it repainted to lighten up the room.
 Yay, I'm all over this! It's going to be awesome
when I do my little distressed finish with all
the details in the woodwork.
 So here we go: The process begins.
First I painted the entire piece, inside and outside, 
in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey.
 I felt like the color was a bit too blue/cool for the room, so I experimented
(right door) with a mixture of Paris Grey and Old Ochre 
for the next coat. Yes, much better....
 And here's what the piece looks like after the painting is completed.
Now, my favorite part: Distressing and waxing....
Sanding down all the edges allows some of the black base to show through.
After thoroughly wiping down everything, I waxed all the surfaces, 
and added dark wax here and there to antique. 
Then I added new pewter knobs.
So here's what the entertainment center looks like now.
Pretty stunning! But wait...
there's more!
 
 Next, I added this Allen and Roth wallpaper to all the backs.  
Because this was so messy and I was afraid I would mess up the finish,
I only pasted the middle insert to the back. 
The rest of the pieces, I cut and matched the pattern, 
and i simply used a bit of wood glue along the edges to adhere to the backs.

A little propping...And here it is....fini!
 Amazing how it opens up the room.

 More detail shots...







Thanks, Kim and Jon, for allowing me to
help transform your den!

1 comment: