Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My Ever Changing Kitchen: Retro Green Kitchen Cabinets

I finally made some progress this past week 
on a project of my own
For a change….
You know things around my pad 
are always the last to get done.
But with all the snow and wintertime blues of late, 
business is rather slow.
So it was a good time to finally tackle 
another chunk in the continually changing 
SheShe kitchen redo..

The beginning:
When I bought my little house back in 1987, 
the kitchen looked like this:
Yikes! It's hard for me to even look at it!!
Those honey oak cabinets…white formica counter…..
such limited storage that I added cabinets and shelves
all over the place.
 Almond colored appliances….
not enough counter space.
I HATED it…..
 So back in my high rolling days of producing,
I designed a new kitchen and had it renovated…
so it looked like this.
I knocked out the pantry and replaced it with a built-in fridge, 
reconfigured cabinets along the back base wall 
with open shelving above.
I had beadboard and extended counters of recycled douglas fir installed.
I did all the painting myself.
It was my very first cabinet redo project 
and I used an off white distressed finish 
with stain and glaze overlays.
I loved my kitchen!!! For awhile…..
And then last year, 
I decided to "funk it up" a bit.
I painted the bead board behind the top two open shelves.
I displayed all my turquoise and cut glassware on the top shelf,
and all my white dishes below.
 I started painting the upper cabinets white with no distressing.
A cleaner look.
And for the bottom cabinets, well, hmmmm.
I couldn't decide on a color.
I tried many……...
 Here you can see that I have about eight colors on the various bottom cabinets,
plus I had brought in this old radio cabinet for an island.
 And I got stuck.  
And since then, 
I've had this patchwork kitchen….
 But FINALLY, I decided I wanted to do the base cabinets in a retro green.
So I headed to Lowes and selected 
what I thought was the perfect color: 
Enchanted Green.
 NOT!! 
What I really wanted was more the color of the crock on the countertop in this photo.
See how far off I am?
The color has more turquoise than I thought.
Even Wilma is sort of freaked out by the palette.
I know I am...
 Here's the other section, under the sink.
I also changed out the hardware to these great 
vintage style cup pulls and green glass knobs.
These are staying! I love them.
And I painted the island to match the cabinets.
At least I can hate everything in unity.
But wait, it's not over.
I decided to experiment with adding some stains,
to see if I could brown down that turquoise...
So I did the island first.
It worked!
See the difference on the paint chip?
Above: Paint Color
Below: With stain added.
So I added stain to all the cabinets.
I used a combo of Colonial Maple and Special Walnut.
See the difference?
Now the color reads green.
And goes nicely with that emerald green sink,
the only thing I kept from the original kitchen.
See how much closer the cabinet color is to the crock now?
Next up, the upper cabinets…..
I wonder how many years that will take.
But some progress has been made.
And I'm rather happy about that!


1 comment:

  1. These are gorgeous! The color is perfect for the space & style. Love the old radio/island conversion too. Can't wait to see it all in person soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete