Sunday, May 29, 2011

Revamping a basement bedroom

Okay, this makeover is a perfect example of SheShe at her best!  
A client had a niece coming to stay for the summer, and she needed help with fixing up a room in the basement.  
Recipe:  One dark and dank basement bedroom...
 Add: Cheap panelling from the 60's....squat little windows....(This door leads to the attached bathroom....I'll show you that makeover tomorrow!!)
 A bunch of mismatched furniture..
 And a LOT of brown...
 AND did i say some big bulky furniture??? Like this old wardrobe that takes up half the room!

 Are you ready for the transformation?  I literally spent about $10 on oops paint, and picked up a couple of things from a thrift store.  Everything else was repurposed stuff.  So let's take a look:

AFTER:  Here you go!!!!!! I primed and painted all that disgusting, ugly paneling in a light spring green, and painted all the trim white.  This alone made the world of difference. I repositioned the bed, painted a little mirror to hang above it and a little table that i placed to the side for a lamp.



Isn't this sweet?  I wanted to minimize all the dark wood in the room, so i used some shabby chic valances and made headboard/footboard slipcovers.


The edges are ruffled....so sweet.



I layered a shabby chic duvet comforter with some white blankets.


Moving right along....

I brought in a cedar chest from another room and took out the huge wardrobe to open up the space.
Then i simply propped the top of the cedar chest to make it look like a window seat.
 
Above it, I hung little white panels with pompoms to elongate the windows. Red pull down shades were donated by a neighbor.


I catty-cornered the dresser, and painted an old rocking chair in a distressed blue and white paint treatment and placed over here by a floor lamp.



Every bedroom needs a place to throw clothes, I mean sit and read a good book!




And finally, a vintage rug with cabbage roses hides the concrete floor.



The downside of all of this?  The summer guest may never leave!!!!!!!!!! Tomorrow, I'll show you the before and afters of the adjoining bathroom.  Thanks for taking the tour with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment