Monday, May 30, 2011

The Dungeon Bathroom

Yesterday I featured a recent makeover in a basement bedroom, and, as promised, tonight I want to continue and show you what I did with the attached bathroom.  To refresh, the existing bedroom and bathroom had brown panelling from the 60's.

BEFORE:  Here's the bathroom and the metal shower stall.
 The side of the shower stall still had the "flower power" decals left over from the client's daughter who used this as her bedroom during the 70's.
 The bottom  of the shower stall had serious rust - inside and out.  You could stick your finger through it.


Over here, more panelling and the original medicine cabinet.  A tiny wall sink had been removed and replaced with this vanity I found on craigslist.

Okay, not the most attractive piece, but much more functional.  For $20 -which included the faucet -  it was a deal.
 
All the hardware in the bathroom was original to the 60's.............
 AFTER:  So let's take a look at what I came up with.  These were all inexpensive cosmetic improvements that really freshened up this bathroom.
I put in a yard sale shower curtain and new towels and washcloths I purchased at HomeGoods.


I added a pvc/vinyl chairrail around the room, under which I installed vinyl beadboard right over the existing panelling.
 
I also ran the vinyl beadboard along the side of the showerstall, AND on the inside bottom walls. It made the shower watertight and took care of the rust issue.
I left the panelling above the chairrail but primed it and then painted it in Benjamin Moore Opal Essence, a very pale aqua.  It's one of my favorite colors.....The chairrail itself i painted a wheat color.  This was an oops paint, but for something similar, try Benjamin Moore Desert Tan.
 
Normally I would have gone with a white chair rail but I did this to try to integrate the color of the faux cultured marble top of the vanity.

Then i painted the base of the vanity in white, but used the same Opal Essence and Desert Tan on the face, to make the top feel less "dirty."  Again, not the most attractive surface, but you gotta work within limitations.


I replaced all the towel accessories, rings, bars, toilet paper holder, with chrome ones from a salvage store. I also replaced the showerhead with a handheld chrome one.


 The medicine cabinet I found on craigslist for $20.  On the top ledge, I added some old mason jars and an antique glass insulator for a little pop of color.


 And finally, above the toilet, i hung a little wall storage piece I bought at a yard sale.  I decoupaged the front with an old map, and accessorized the top.




1 comment:

  1. love it! so I need to find one or two salvaged wooden medicine cabnets to do over some very 70s bathrooms....

    ReplyDelete