Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Victorian Parlor Chair Gets a Flirty New Look!

Wow, 
thanks Mary Mayo for turning me on to this 
incredible set of Victorian parlor furniture 
that a dealer was selling.
Don't you know this was a stunning set back in its day.
But that was long, long ago.
The velvet tufted upholstery had actually disintegrated.
 Stuffing was coming out……
but check out the detail on the wood back!!!!!!!
 Here you can see a close up of the tufting,
and the general condition of the fabric.
 I couldn't stand it!
I started ripping apart the chair within the hour,
and it took hours….
OMG, the things that came out of this chair!!!!
I removed all the trim and fabric and tacks……..
I stripped off all the stuffing: 
Horsehair, straw...
you name it, it was in here.
Yukko...
 I left the burlap, springs and webbing  - 
all were still in good condition...
 Next, I painted the frame in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey.
Here's a close up of the detail after painting.
Next,
I set about rebuilding this chair.
I added chunks of foam and batting to the seat.
 And I decided to recover it in this natural/soft blue wide-stripe linen ticking. 
This chair took some time. 
I learned a lot!
The main thing about reupholstery is that 
you must do things in a particular order.
Very important, Grasshopper!
Here you can see how I stapled the fabric along the edges,
before trimming off the excess fabric.
 Here's the chair with the body and sides covered….
 And here it is all completed.
It's so beautiful, 
I can't stand it!
I must sit in it!
 And you know me, 
I like to add a little bit of the unexpected…
So where I usually use nail heads, 
on this piece, 
I used a variety of vintage white buttons.
 Here's the back.
I trimmed most of the edges in natural gimp.
 Except I used small strips of fabric for the back sides and bottom edges.
 And then I decided to add another little whimsical feature:
This little pocket, edged in more buttons.
 I finished the wood trim by dry brushing some Old White on the details and edges,
and then I waxed and buffed.
 Here "she" is in my booth. 
(She's definitely a she!)
See? 
You can use the pocket for a book, 
or a remote….
Or in my case, 
a price tag.
It's for sale for $299
Hmmm, this one may take a while.
The pain is still too fresh….

2 comments:

  1. How much is the sofa??? You haven't redone it yet, right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sofa will require a lot of work. I will sell it as is for $140.

      Delete