Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Trip To Bountiful: Visiting Friends, Revisiting Work, and PILLOWS

Most of you know that in my former life, I was a broadcast producer in the advertising industry.
Other than eating out at lots of fancy restaurants, what I miss most about those days are some dear friends that I don't see often enough.

This past weekend was a real treat because i got to hang out with some of those folks again!  
Two of my creative director buddies, Carolyn and Shari, and I travelled to Wake Forest, NC, to see our friends, Cristie and Andy.  (We all worked together at The Martin Agency at one time or another..and various other places...)
Cristie was one of the very first people who asked me to help with decorating her incredible home, which of course segued into my new career as "SheShe, The Home Magician."  And ironically, my brand name, "Home Magician," along with the tagline, "Because Homes Have Dreams, Too" came from none other than Andy, who is an incredible writer/creative director.  
(If you need help with branding, etc, check him out!! He'll do you right! www.ellisandothers2.com.)

So in addition to a whole lot of fun, I also got to revisit some of my very early work.......and also a "freshening up" that I did last year.
I have to say the place looked great........I LOVE their great room......
This is how it looked after my first makeover.  Isn't it sweet?
Cristie loves all things beachy...and shares a love of turquoise and aqua tones....
The mirror we found at an antique store in Ashland. It was ugly dark wood..

I painted it and added an iridescent glaze and it just glows...we added lots of shells and beach glass tones to the mantle.
All her accessories were shiny brass, so I gave everything a verdigris finish...
down to the knobs on the cabinets...
We scarfed up these sweet little bird prints from a local yard sale.
Originally, the windows had dated swags, like this.....
Those were the first things to go!!!!! Now the windows are the stars...
I tied long branches together and draped them with store bought panels in a freeform style.
And then last year, We changed them out.  I purchased this fabric from Hancock...Sheer with copper medallions.
And sewed long panels....Draped them, keeping the freeform style. 
This was a boring brown table until I gave it the SheShe treatment with off-white and turquoise. 
Then I staged this vignette in the front hall.

Painted this little oak table aqua....and recently recovered this little arm chair (for the second time.)
This time I used a taupe and white starfish print I purchased from Williams and Sherrill.



The sofa needed a new slipcover....
We found a lovely soft chenille at the Williams Sherrill Outlet Store and commissioned a Richmond seamstress to travel to Wake Forest to measure and cut....She did a great job...
And the jute carpet had run its course so we replaced it with this beautiful rug.  
I love the distressed antique tables that serve as coffee and end tables.
And I finished off with pillows...........






...and more pillows...

I LOVE this sea coral print..... helps integrate the deep teal tone of this antique bench.
I am the pillow queen!


Thank you, dear friends.......It was great being together again!!
(And this time, all play and no work!! What a concept!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment