Monday, February 6, 2012

Fox Brothers: A Little Piece of My Heritage

I grew up in Greenwood, Virginia...most beautiful place in the world.  
So did my Dad.  
So did his father.  
Here's my dad on his wedding day, the little photo on the left.  
And the photo on the right is his father - my grandfather - A.D. Fox.
Grandpa had several businesses with his brothers, 
and they used the moniker, "Fox Brothers." 
One of them was this service station in Greenwood,
which was located on 250 next to Emmanuel Episcopal Church.
 
Here's the inside office. (That's Grandpa on the right.)
I can still smell it: Motor oil and old rags and sweat......
A few years ago, my dad gave me this surveying tool that belonged to Grandpa. 
It's one of my favorite possessions.  
I have it hanging in my home. 
I love family memorabilia!
 I wish I had more! 
So when I found this flyer recently, I was tickled.
And I start thinking...
How cool would it be to have an old sign from Fox Brothers.....
 And then the other day, on one of my alley walks, 
I found this piece of wood. 
Perfect for a sign!

 So heck, I decided to make one. 
First I painted it in Old Ochre, using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.
 I tried to match the flyer typestyle with a font from my computer. 
I printed each letter out on its own sheet of paper, 
and then taped them together to fit within the dimensions.
 I rubbed pencil on the back of each sheet, and then drew around the letters 
so that when I removed the paper, it left an outline.
 Then I just filled in the letters with ASCP in Graphite.
After finishing the lettering...
 I distressed the sign by hitting it with a palm sander.
 Then I dry brushed some Chateau Gray here and there, 
and added clear and dark waxes.

And here's my Fox Brothers Sign! 
No, it's not the real Mccoy, but it's still a tribute to the legacy of my Grandfather
and his brothers.
I think they would be proud. 
I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment