Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Get Scrap Happy!!!!! Using Fabric Scraps for Reupholstery



Yikes, it's been a while since my last blog post.  What can I say, a girl's gotta work when she can;)  I've been busy with many projects, and lots of sewing projects lately......and I wanted to share with you some of my creations that I've pieced together from cast off chairs and lots of fabric scraps.......


So usually when I complete a sewing project, I have a big box of scraps left....like this........too little for anything substantial but way too wonderful to throw away...........


Here's a chair I picked up at a yard sale. Cute lines....
 Great wood details  but the pink velour tufted upholstery is tired and dirty.
 Here's what it looks like after a new paint job and my fabric scraps.......
 I used my favorite furniture paint, Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint, in Versailles, and distressed and waxed.  Look how beautiful the detailing is now.........
 I used four different fabrics.  Love how this turned out! This is for sale at Greenwood Antiques.
 Next up, this chair I literally found in the alley in the trash.  It had a big hole in the caning, but again, it was sturdy and too good to throw away.  So I brought it home.....
 Here's what it looks like after it's rehab!!!!!!!! Fresh and one of a kind for sure!
 One of the fabrics I had used recently for a project had a wonderful medallion pattern, so i simply made padded pieces and attached them to the front and back to stabilize and hide the hole. Then I painted the cane in Old White.....
 And used different colors to accentuate the details in the wood frame. I pieced together a paisley print for the seat and used a green houndstooth for the piping........
 And finally, here's a chair that a friend gave me..........in need of a little rehab for sure......
 Nice carving in the wood, but icky finish and dated tapesty fabric...and in need of a little leg repair.
 And here it is after a couple of weeks hanging around me! I painted the frame of course, in my typical distressed finish, reattached the leg, and then used an assortment of linens to reupholster.....
 For the seat and arms I used some pieces of this wonderful coral/sealife patterned linen I picked up at Williams & Sherrill.
I covered the back in a pleated oatmeal linen, edged in gimp.
 I used a ruffled edging around the chair front/seat, and bronze nailhead trim around the armpads.
 Finally I made a pillow out of more remants.  Can't you just see this in a beach or river home??? For sale at Cabell House.  Kitty NFS.  Go out there and get scraphappy, folks!

2 comments:

  1. SHESHE you never fail to amaize me! I'm inspired to re-do Elenor's chair this weekend. Now, where are my scraps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome...can't wait to get my fabric for the stool and the pieces painted in the sun-room.

    You do such exceptional work....

    ReplyDelete