Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Art of Disguise: A Fireplace Makeover

Today I thought I'd share this little mini-makeover. It's a perfect example of how to "think outside the box."

BEFORE: This is Whitney's house and she has hired SheShe to do a little home magic.....Since it's a rental, she can't paint this ugly brick fireplace and hearth.  What an eyesore.  The mantle is flanked by wonderful built in book cases with beadboard backs. Be still my heart!

 So take a look at what I came up with.
 AFTER:  Abracadabra!!!!!!!!! No more ugly brick...........

Here's what I did:


I purchased some medium weight fabric, hemmed the sides and hung it just below the molding with a tension curtain rod.. The fabric is a beautiful silver blue that complements the backs of the builtins....And the little brown flower line drawings help marry the dark wood of the fireplace.




Next, I took a piece of plywood, and added some molding around three sides so that it will slide right over the existing hearth.  (This was an option because this is not a fireburning fireplace but an electric one....) I primed and painted the wood in a two toned yellow and aqua harlequin pattern, added brown fleur de lis motifs, and added a stain for an aged effect...


Take a look! Here it is "installed." Pretty clever if I say so myself.


When Whitney moves, she simply takes down the fabric and lifts off the plywood to reveal that lovely brick. 


But for now, it's a huge improvement, don't you think?  Thanks for reading my blog! And happy decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment