Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I can't speak, but I can still PAINT! Tuscan Landscapes on Furniture


Jeepers, folks, I have been in bed for about a week now with some kind of nasty respiratory stuff....completely missed Halloween, my very FAVORITE occasion of the year, missed hosting my annual Halloween party....all of it went right down the tubes this year......

My front door


But even though this is day six with no voice,  I must be feeling a little better because last night I finally tackled this little tobacco stand that I bought at a thrift store some time ago...
Here's what it looked like when I purchased it:

Love these sweet little arms:


As you can see there were some serious veneer issues....


 I just peeled off the loose veneer, and added some wood fill here and then. When it was dry, I sanded and primed the piece which looked like this.  
And here it sat until last night....when I finally got my mojo back....

I started by painting most of the cabinet in a drybrush technique of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Aubusson Blue....but I just wasn't loving it.....so I decided to have a little fun and I painted a little tuscan landscape scene on the side panel...complete with lavender fields!



And then I painted another scene on the other side panel:


Heck, why stop now? 
Before I know it, I've painted the front with an open window scene....with a lattice window and flowers in a window box........and some very red fruit in a bowl inside on a table...and curtains blowing in the breeze...and a little scrolly iron light fixture. Geez, Louise, where is all this energy coming from all of a sudden?  Must be that prescription medicine kicking in that I got from the doc in a box today!














And then I painted the top in a mixture of Arles and Scandinavian Pink. A little distress sanding and waxing the piece, and here she is:



Tomorrow, she will be heading to my antique booth along with this polished up silver service:

Not bad for a sick day....
It's nice to be baaaack..........sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment